HSE Statutory Medicals

HSE Medicals – Required By Law and with a Doctor

There are regulations that require employers to ensure employees undertaking certain work activities with specified hazards have suitable medicals.

Those regulations are:

  • The Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999.
  • The Control of Lead at Work Regulations 2002.
  • The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (as amended).
  • The Work in Compressed Air Regulations 1996.
  • The Diving at Work Regulations 1997.

The specific medicals associated with the above regulations can only be carried out by a doctor that is Approved by the Health And Safety Executive.

In order to become Approved, a doctor must demonstrate to the HSE that they have suitable qualifications and experience. They must also have a detailed knowledge of the nature of the hazards and risks in relation to the work activities being undertaken. A doctor can be Appointed for one or more medical types e.g Lead, Ionising Radiation and Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome( HAVS) or just a single type as in diving medicals.

A list of Health And Safety Executive Appointed doctors can be found on the HSE Website at www.hse.gov.uk .If you need one in South Wales the Appointed doctors for Lead, Radiation, COSHH and HAVS Tier 4 and COSHH have clinics running from Workare. We run monthly clinics for these types of medicals so please book well enough in advance.

Ionising Radiation Medicals

Lead Medicals