Safety Critical Worker Medicals ( Fit For Work Medicals )
Most main contractors require this to be completed by a SEQOHS Accredited Occupational Health Company.
The term ‘safety critical work’ is defined as:
“Where the ill health of an individual may compromise their ability to undertake a task defined as safety critical, thereby posing a significant risk to the health and safety of others.” (http://www.cbhscheme.com/Press-Releases/Safety-critical-workers)
It is important that safety-critical workers are not suffering from medical conditions or undergoing any medical treatment which is likely to cause sudden loss of consciousness or incapacity, impairment of awareness, concentration, balance or coordination or significant limitation of mobility.
A medical, such as a fitness-for-task health check, as identified in the National Industry Standards for Occupational Health, would go a long way towards ensuring these legal requirements are met.
Workare Ltd are accredited with the highest occupational health standard SEQOHS ( Safe Effective Quality Occupational Health Service ) and are qualified to carry out Safety Critical medicals in accordance with National Guidelines.
Safety Critical Medicals are required for the following occupations among others:
- FLT Driver (in specific circumstances)
- Driver and Mechanical Handling Equipment Operator
- Plant Operator
- Roadside (high speed) worker
- Tunnelling worker
- Slinger/Signaller/Banksman/Traffic Marshall
- Confined Space
- Working at Heights
Safety Critical Worker Medicals consist of the following
- A baseline SCW health questionnaire to establish any current or previous medical/psychological health history.
- Clinical tests in accordance with Guidelines.
- Plus specialised tests in case of working at heights & confined spaces.
- Drug and Alcohol testing as required.
- The result will be classified as Fully Fit , Fit With Restrictions Or Unfit
We are Costain , Skanska , Kier Group , McAlpine , Balfour Beatty, Laing O’Rourke , Carillion & Wilmott Dixon approved for safety critical medicals!